- 1 1. Embrace the Dark Side: Moody Exterior Colors
- 1.1 2. Go Green: Sustainable Materials and Eco-Friendly Designs
- 1.2 3. Minimalism Meets Nature: The Beauty of Simple Landscaping
- 1.3 4. Make a Statement: Bold Front Doors
- 1.4 5. Bring the Indoors Out: Outdoor Living Spaces
- 1.5 6. Say Goodbye to Cookie-Cutter: Unique Architectural Details
- 1.6 7. Mix and Match: Contrasting Materials
- 1.7 8. Let There Be Light: Outdoor Lighting
- 1.8 9. Back to Basics: Classic and Timeless Designs
- 1.9 10. Go Big or Go Home: Oversized Windows
1. Embrace the Dark Side: Moody Exterior Colors
One of the biggest trends in exterior home design for 2018 is the use of dark, moody colors. Say goodbye to the traditional white and beige, and hello to deep blues, rich grays, and even black. These bold colors add a touch of sophistication and drama to your home’s exterior, making it stand out from the crowd.
2. Go Green: Sustainable Materials and Eco-Friendly Designs
As the world becomes more conscious of the need to protect the environment, eco-friendly designs are gaining popularity. Incorporating sustainable materials such as reclaimed wood, recycled metal, and energy-efficient windows and doors not only helps the planet but also adds a unique and modern touch to your home’s exterior.
3. Minimalism Meets Nature: The Beauty of Simple Landscaping
In 2018, less is more when it comes to landscaping. Embrace the beauty of simplicity by opting for clean lines, minimalistic gardens, and native plants that require less water and maintenance. This trend not only creates a harmonious connection between your home and the natural environment but also saves you time and money on upkeep.
4. Make a Statement: Bold Front Doors
Your front door is the first thing people see when they visit your home, so why not make a statement? Go for a bold color that contrasts with the rest of your home, or choose a unique and eye-catching design. From oversized doors to intricately carved wooden doors, the options are endless to add a touch of personality to your home’s exterior.
5. Bring the Indoors Out: Outdoor Living Spaces
Outdoor living spaces are becoming increasingly popular, and 2018 is no exception. Create a seamless transition between your indoor and outdoor spaces by incorporating comfortable seating areas, fire pits, and even outdoor kitchens. This trend not only adds value to your home but also provides a relaxing and inviting atmosphere for you and your guests.
6. Say Goodbye to Cookie-Cutter: Unique Architectural Details
In a world of cookie-cutter homes, standing out from the crowd is essential. Incorporate unique architectural details such as exposed beams, decorative trims, or even a turret. These one-of-a-kind features add character and charm to your home’s exterior, making it truly unique and memorable.
7. Mix and Match: Contrasting Materials
Forget about sticking to just one material for your home’s exterior. Mixing and matching different materials, such as wood, stone, and metal, adds visual interest and texture. Whether you choose to combine them horizontally or vertically, this trend creates a modern and dynamic look for your home.
8. Let There Be Light: Outdoor Lighting
Outdoor lighting not only enhances the beauty of your home’s exterior but also provides safety and security. From string lights to strategically placed spotlights, this trend adds a warm and welcoming glow to your outdoor spaces. Additionally, consider incorporating energy-efficient LED lights to save on energy costs.
9. Back to Basics: Classic and Timeless Designs
While trends come and go, classic and timeless designs never go out of style. Opt for simple and elegant exteriors that stand the test of time. Neutral colors, symmetrical designs, and traditional architectural elements create a timeless look that will make your home beautiful for years to come.
10. Go Big or Go Home: Oversized Windows
Oversized windows not only allow for more natural light to enter your home but also create a sense of openness and connection with the outdoors. Large windows also provide stunning views and make your home appear more spacious. Whether you opt for floor-to-ceiling windows or a wall of windows, this trend adds a modern and luxurious touch to your home’s exterior.